[pct-l] what's the best 250 mile section?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 14:19:55 CST 2013

I'd agree with both spots already suggested, JMT or anything from Goat
Rocks north in the Cascades, but your two speeds will probably be really
different for either of these.  If you are willing to slow down however, it
can be a great excuse for really enjoying either of those two unparalleled
sections of trail.

We blasted as fast as we could over the High Sierra in 2010 but due to deep
snow, were forced to dramatically slow our pace.  This was a good thing as
the place is incredible, and the fun of hiking through that ordeal of snow
with friends was marvelous.

When we got to the Cascades, we were really hiking fast for the majority of
it, but then found ourselves a day or two early for several rides set for
us in Canada.  That forced us to slow down to 12 miles per day, for some
really easy hikes.  We had the first campfires of the trip, and talked
about how wonderful it was to be "backpacking" and not "thru hiking"
anymore.  We all swore to take up camping as a hobby in the future!  I came
back the next year and rehiked the Cascades with a friend, not a thru
hiker, and we hiked 15 per day and loved it.

The gist of all this is that if you can actually slow down over
particularly beautiful spots for your friend, this might be a good thing.

Have a great hike,

Shroomer