[pct-l] Early Southern Section Hike Advice

Devon Picklum dapicklum at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 03:12:31 CST 2013

Hello hikers,
My plans for an early section hike through the desert are coming along-
food and gear needs, resupply, fitness, etc. As much as I'd love to be
planning a thru hike I have a great summer job lined up, so am planning to
hike from Campo to Kennedy Meadows, sticking to the desert, and finishing
up before the high Sierra begins.
I am a native of the Sierra high country, and very wary of early snow. My
plan is to begin my section in the end of March, ending mid May. This is
most of a month before ADZPCTKO. I know this start date is arbitrary for
many hikers, and allows avoidance of severe winter conditions further
north, but it really makes me think. I have been reading up and I have
found several sites describing average expected snow pack, etc. I want to
hear what folks know about early snow in the southern CA ranges, as I know
these mountains can be treacherous and difficult to pass as well.
On another note, I am looking for other early hikers to maybe begin with.
Any and all advice is welcome,
Thanks,
Devon