[pct-l] compression Socks?

Dave Fajer davefajer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 10:28:40 CST 2013

Heather et al,
While I will caveat my statements by saying that ANY rash should be looked
at by a doctor...I too got bad rashes on my feet and legs while wearing
compression socks even though they were "comfortable and refreshing" for me.
My final solution was not to wear compression socks during warm weather
hiking and never to wear them in conjunction with wool or wool blend
socks....and use them frequently while recovering (after) from hikes. That
solved my rash. My doctor never did figure out the exact medical diagnosis.
I have read about the infamous "hiker's rash" and think that, for me, it
was the combination of temperature and fabric that was causing it.
Although, there are many reasons for rashes that are not related to that,
some of them quite serious.
I carry a set (2) of compression socks on hikes and wear them when I feel
necessary (about 10% of the time). I mostly use them after a hike and
always try to keep my legs and feet above my heart while resting during and
after hiking. Over a short time, this always remediates any issues I have
and I know that my circulatory system is responding to the continual
exercise and improving.
Since I have experienced infrequent and irregular recurrence of foot/leg
rash and circulatory problems, I have 3 different lengths of compression
socks (mid-calf, over the knee and above the thigh) to utilize, all of
which include enclosed toes. I tried the open toe versions but the fabric
lines inevitably did me in by causing foot problems (abrasions/blisters)
eventually.
Medical compression socks or hose have a rating scale for the compression
of the socks that I sense has been an industry standard for years. It
appears to measure/estimate the actual compression of the leg measured in
mmHG or millimeters of mercury.
I notice that Non-medical compression socks are marketed without that
reference but all help to provide support to the foot/legs vascular system,
primarily for the blood return flow to the heart.
I have both medical and non-medical hiking compression socks that I can mix
and match to the need. I don't need them often, but need them when I need
them.
Best of luck with your remediation.
Coastal