[pct-l] Quilts versus sleeping bags

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Feb 12 19:37:30 CST 2013

A quilt is just a sleeping bag without a zipper. You can get
effectively the same thing as a quilt by not zipping your sleeping
bag. There are some sleeping bags as light as quilts so if I was
going to buy a new bag, I'd get a really light sleeping bag and just
not zip it when I want the quilt experience.

I currently (and during my PCT hike) have a GoLite Ultra 20 quilt. It
worked fine. On winter trips I put another quilt on top. That
eliminates a lot of the drafts. My 2nd quilt is a wearable quilt from
Jacks R Better. If I ever buy another quilt, I will get one from
them. They make a fine product. I now just bring my wearable quilt
and wear it to keep warm like a jacket. I no longer need a down jacket.

On the subject of packs, I used a Gossamer Gear G4 pack on my 2nd
hike. I didn't like the fit of it or the feel of it, but it worked
just fine and is still in great shape and I sometimes use it for
hikes when I need a lot of capacity. My favorite pack is a ULA Relay.
I think ULA makes the absolute best packs. I also have an Osprey Aura
65 which is a great pack for heavier loads and the nice thing with
Osprey packs is you can get them from REI.

On the subject of tents, I love my Gossamer Gear One. This is the
best tent I have ever slept in. I truly love it.

Full disclosure: I'm a Gossamer Gear "Ambassador".