[pct-l] Old PCT Route

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Tue Feb 12 20:06:01 CST 2013

The Gray NatGeo book is on my shelf. A good source for detailed info is the
early PCT guidebooks by Wilderness Press. The 1973 book, and 1976 books for
Ca,Or,WA. For the section you describe, your best choice is the 1973 PCT
guidebook by WP. For the Sierra, the early JMT guidebook by Peter Starr 1934
and later editions is great for finding the early routes in here.  Clinton
Clarke's 1945 Pacific Crest Trailways book serves as the first guidebook to
describe the PCT as a Mexico to Canada trail, and it follows a route thru
California few hikers would recognize today. I've found USFS maps for the
PCT for Oregon and Washington from the 1930s thru 1970s showing the routes
for the Skyline and Cascade Crest trail that were later grandfathered into
the PCT. There's also some early guidebooks for the Skyline and Cascade
Crest trail that describe the route in detail, each on my shelf. My primary
source has been ebay. I greatly enjoyed sharing all of these with my
favorite counter bidder and PCT historian, AsAbat.
~~
Good afternoon all,  I am reading a book I just bought from EBay about the
PCT....published by National Geographic, written by William Gray and Sam
Abell who thru-hiked in 1974...very interesting in regards to the history
of the route. It prints maps (rudimentary)  that is a little different from
the route today....very different in some areas like S. California and the
Mojave section and Jawbone Canyon to Whitney Meadow. I wanted to know if
any good maps exists of the old PCT route from that era. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks