[pct-l] Trail runners vs hiking boots

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Feb 1 19:37:17 CST 2013

My feet were ruined in Piper's Flight because I bought Montrail
Hardrocks which apparently have a very molded bottom insole. My toes
were forced into this pointed up position and I was walking right on
the bones at the base of my toes. I can't even watch people walk in
those things it makes me hurt just to watch. I don't think they make
them anymore.

I came back to finish the trail the next year with squishier, more
flexible shoes and did fine.

Some people really like those stiff, moldable insoles. Some like the
superfeet. I liked the squishy foam ones.  Roadwalks are a killer and
the soft squishy makes it more bearable.

Not only can you put microspikes on crocs, you can also put your
superfeet in them and hike in them just fine. Who was it, Ameoba? She
hiked in crocs the whole AT plus the So Cal section of the PCT.

Totally whatever works. Try it all. Try it on the trail. You can even
find lots of shoes in hiker boxes. I still regret not taking a pair
from the hiker box in Elk Lake. They were perfect.

Shoe mods, too! And crazy ways to tie them. I met a guy last year who
cut the tongues out of his shoes for more room.

Lately I have some Keen hiking shoes. They feel like huge clunky
boots to me. Also New Balance Minimus. Feels like not enough support
against the rocky trail, but I feel way more nimble. I hike in Chaco
sandals a lot and even in homemade sandals.