[pct-l] Tethers to the other world...from the other world

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Tue Oct 16 07:38:51 CDT 2012

As the one who'll be at home (still working), this brings to mind my question.  When is it time to call for a rescue team?

I've done trail support for Jon, my signifcant other, for about 17 years (AT x 4, PCT, LT, FT x 2, etc.).  On recent long hikes he's been carrying his cell phone.  It is only for what he deems an emergency.  Unless there's an emergency, he doesn't turn it on.   I know that even if there is an emergency, he may not have cell service.  He hikes solo.

He calls me from trail towns.  This allows me to know where he is, how he is, and when to pack & ship the next box.

The last time he did the PCT ('97), he was once three days late getting to town.  One day late--I don't worry.  Two days late--I think about it a little.  Three days late--now I'm getting very nervous.

  So, if you're the one at home, when do you start calling the authorities?

Joan in Florida, a long way from the PCT