[pct-l] Tethers to the other world...

Lisa Peru lisaperu2011 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 07:06:04 CDT 2012

Ned, thanks so much for that list of info that the SAR people will want. If (hopefully never!) I hit that 911 button, it's great to know what info to send, assuming I've managed to protect my phone as well as the SPOT.

Since I'm posting, I'll chime in on "tethers." I don't enjoy them and sometimes resent the demands of family. But they support my adventures, so I buck up and try to keep them involved. This year, I'm hoping that weekly calls from town will be deemed sufficient instead of semi-nightly SPOT messages. I hear the CDT is a wee bit more remote than the PCT was, so cell signal will be rare. :)

It's been interesting to hear everyone's differing situations and resultant attitudes towards modernized hiking. Maybe someday I'll collect my vintage gear and go for an old-school trip with wool, canvas, my SVEA and big leather stompers. No cell phone of course! Anyone else interested?

-Peru