[pct-l] Tethers to the other world...

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 01:12:08 CDT 2012

>Of course, we are all discussing the situation of when only one wants to go. The best for both parties is when both go! The opportunities for shared enjoyment of wilderness is priceless and brings both together tighter than before....

Absolutely. And we enjoy our time together in the backcountry. But she is in a masters program and can't always get in the backcountry. And, frankly. I enjoy my solo time, too.
>Just be ultra careful and come out on time because you don't have any other recourse when things go bad. Now, they may not, but they certainly can and have in the past. If SAR >has to come to your rescue with the coordinated efforts of 30 or 40 people, most of whom you'll never meet, don't be surprised if they read you the riot act in no uncertain terms >because you made the choices you did.

>Even savvy mountain men get caught off-guard...

I went to Catholic school for nine years.  I grew up Catholic.  And I have a woman in my life known as "Mom" who is a master of the above.

Only a matter of time before this guilt-tripping becomes standards.

Where if you don't take a device of some sort, it is not just a choice..but an irresponsible one apparently.

I wrote about it a few years back. Wish my predictions were wrong.
http://www.pmags.com/the-growing-culture-of-connectivity

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.twitter.com/pmagsco