[pct-l] To SPOT or not to SPOT [AND] Money along the

Ed Jarrett edjarrett at msn.com
Sat Oct 13 16:34:49 CDT 2012

I agree. There are times when SPOT messages do not go through.  Our understanding is that a missed message or two (or more) does not mean there is a problem.  I could be under heavy cover, batteries could be dead, or SPOT or my phone could be broke.  Only if a message is received, whether it is an OK or a Help, should any assumption be made as to my status.
SPOT takes none of the wilderness away for me.  It provides me no value (other than making it easier to get approval to be in the wild), unless I break a leg.  Carrying my own food and shelter reduce the wild in wilderness much more than SPOT does. :)

Ed Jarretthttp://aclayjar.blogspot.com/