[pct-l] To SPOT or not to SPOT [AND] Money along the

Kathi pogo at pctwalker.com
Sat Oct 13 16:42:27 CDT 2012

I got a SPOT at the end of the summer this year after I made a couple of
solo trips. My husband and dad had asked me to get a SPOT previously and
I didn't want to carry the weight. I have a tracker on my cell phone and
my husband was thinking he would get a reading every once in a while to
see I was moving forward. He got a signal the first day and then none
thereafter. That kinda freaked him out. But I was VERY clear with he and
my dad that if they didn't hear from me or see me moving forward via the
cell phone tracker that didn't mean I was lost or injured so wait until
I didn't show up out of the wilderness when expected before panicking.

Anyway, I could tell my husband was a bit rattled not having a way to
tell if I was okay. In fact when he could get a signal on the cell phone
tracker he was taking screen shots so if he did have to call SAR he
would be able to show them where I was. So cute!!! So seeing how rattled
he was a got a SPOT and I could see the tension leave. So that was well
worth it to me. I am the type however that I won't push the "help" or
"SOS" button on that thing unless I am willing to fly in a helicopter. I
am so afraid of flying that I will pretty much have to be almost dead
before I'm willing to do that so for me thinking I can "just get out of
the situation" doesn't factor into my personality. For me the benefit of
carrying it is for those at home. Even though on my end it looked like
my SPOT was transmitting my "I'm Okay" messages the last couple of days
of my trip, apparently it wasn't. But I had given my dad and husband
such a pep-talk about not calling SAR or support until I didn't come out
on the day expected, even if they weren't getting "okay" messages from
the SPOT, that they just waited patiently until they did get a SPOT
message a couple days later. So I guess what I am saying (and it seems
others too) is that having or not having a SPOT is not the problem, it's
how you decide to use it and think about it's abilities and educate
those back home about it.

Puddles