[pct-l] Skiing from Snoqualmie Pass SB to Whites Pass (Eric Lee)

Craig Giffen cg at lunky.com
Fri Nov 23 00:56:38 CST 2012

I second the Crystal Mountain resupply.  I think your biggest issue would just be trying to carry enough food since you will be traveling 2-3x slower than hiking.

I grew up in this area and have done a lot of trips above Chinook Pass in the winter.  Going on xcountry skis and snowshoes it would take all day to go 6-8 miles.  A lot of that route is in the trees so route finding would slow you down too (though maybe a GPS would help avoid this possibly).

The ground doesn't even show up until mid June at the earliest, so plan on having snow the entire way.  There are a couple places north of Chinook Pass where you would have to go some other route because the trail is on a cliff edge.

Anyways, I am not saying it couldn't be done...but you would just have to be in really good shape, carry a lot of food, hope the weather holds, and hope the snow is packed well so you can make better time.  You are basically on your own too since some of those places (like the Cougar Lakes area) are pretty far from any winter accessible roads.  I don't think it is possible to go from SP to WP without resupplying though...it is too great of distance to travel in the snow.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer (or whatever the male equivalent is), but just know what you are getting into.

Craig