[pct-l] Fw: KILLER BEES & YELLOW JACKETS - AND MB'S

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 23 08:26:34 CST 2012

Hey Reinhold,
You wrote:  "And what about BEE'S?  Two weeks ago three hikers were attacked by bees in Arizona ...... one is dead."

The bees that you describe that attacked the three hikers in Arizona, and killed one, must have been Killer Bees (Africanized bees). Killer bees and Honey bees can only sting once and then they die. The stinger stays in you - it is barbed. Hope the Killer bees don't reach the PCT. Unfortunately, the Mountain Bikers have - illegally, yes, but they are sometimes there and pose a danger to equestrians and even hikers when they "fly", silently, downhill on blind curves. I had one close call in 2008 on PCT Section E.

When I rode through a part of PCT Section K north of the Suitele River crossing in Washington in 2009, I had been warned about a bee problem there. Several hikers had been stung. So, I was concerned about it. Luckily, I never saw any bees there.

Now, yellow jackets are very different from bees. They nest in the ground. If you disturb them they might follow you and can keep right on stinging. The following is about an experience that I will never forget. It happened about a decade ago:

I was riding in the one-hundred-mile Swanton Pacific Endurance Race. It was a 100 mile loop, held in the Santa Cruz mountains. It offered incredible scenery as it passed through five state parks, redwood forests, and had grand ocean views. Unfortunately, it was discontinued three years ago. It was my favorite 100 miler. I have finished it eleven times - and failed to finish twice.

Here is what happened when YELLOW JACKETS were encountered. It was during my ride about a decade ago. I was riding in the lead pack along with three women
 riders. Two miles back, we had passed through the 18 mile "trot by" vet check. There was a water trough there for the horses. No mandatory hold, the veterinarians just wanted to watch the horses trot to be sure no horse was lame and would have to be pulled. The four of us were probably separated from the rest of the pack (about 30 more horses) by about six or seven minutes. We were about a mile past the trot-by when I decided to drop back to take a quick pee - since the first vet check with a hold, was at 35 miles. As I re-mounted I could hear the three gals screaming really loud. My immediate guess was bees. I knew that I would have to pass through the place where the screaming was coming from. There was no alternate route. And within another half-mile beyond there was the infamous "slab" to
cross. It is a smooth, angled rock ,slope about 100' wide. Race management recommends that you walk across the slab to
 avoid a slip. As I reached the spot, yellow jackets swarmed my horse and I with a vengeance. And I could still hear the women screaming up ahead. We all managed to get across the slab without a slip. The Yellow Jackets followed us for miles. They stung me under my socks, on my neck, under my riding helmet, on my hands. They continued to sting my horse. I caught up with the other three riders and they were experiencing the same. When I got to the 35 mile vet check I found dead yellow jackets under the saddle pad and under my horses mane. At that check there was a long mandatory hold. As other riders arrived I learned that they all had the same experience - except just one rider. He was not stung even once. He told me that he observed where the yellow jackets were coming from. - from beneath a rock that closely bordered the trail. He
explained why he was not stung. He said, "I am an Italian. I eat a lot of
 GARLIC".

MendoRider