[pct-l] Snow "impasses"?

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Fri May 4 18:23:36 CDT 2012

Jeff wrote:

I'm very interested in solutions to the logistical and hazardous issues
associated with a off season thru hike, especially if any contributors have
experienced an off season or snowy season hike.

Fair enough, but an off-season thru-hike is pretty much by definition
"winter mountaineering" since the thru-hiking season starts as soon as it's
not winter mountaineering and ends when it becomes winter mountaineering
again.  The thru-hiking window is tightly bounded by that on both ends.
Normal thru-hiking doesn't mean "no snow", it just means, "not winter
mountaineering".  Winter mountaineering can be fun and many people engage in
it, but it's a different ballgame.

So for winter mountaineering (i.e. the Sierra in April, which is what you
asked about) you're looking at several hazards:
1.  Travel in unconsolidated snow is just plain slow and energy-consuming,
no matter if you're on skis or snowshoes.  Expect less than 10 miles a day.
2.  The Sierra is a long haul without convenient resupply even in normal
thru-hiking season.  In the off-season when the few usual resupply points
are closed, it's an even longer haul.  Combined with your slow pace, you'd
need to haul at least three weeks' worth of supplies. (Just a guess - you'll
have to do the math.)
3.  That kind of weight slows your pace even further, increasing your time
between resupply, and it's a vicious cycle.
4.  Winter storms can be absolutely brutal, both in conditions during the
storm itself and in the multiple feet of new powder they can leave behind.
New power is great for downhill skiing but absolutely sucks for travel.
5.  Avalanches are a real hazard, both as a result of recent storms or
alternately warm weather.  There isn't a lot you can do to mitigate
avalanche danger other than to be where they aren't.
6.  There's probably going to be no one else around to help you in case you
need assistance.  You can call out on a sat phone or something, but bad
weather may delay a timely rescue for days.

The kind of people who can thrive in those kinds of conditions are already
well-experienced in those conditions and know what they're getting into.
You didn't mention what your experience level is, but if you're already an
experienced winter mountaineer then this forum probably isn't going to tell
you anything you don't already know, and if you're not, then you'll likely
find a thru-hike during the normal season to be quite challenging enough
without adding winter mountaineering into the mix.

Caveat: I love long-distance hiking but my risk tolerance is rather low, so
that colors my advice.  :-)  People like Ned might have a different outlook
and I encourage you to listen to their advice as well.

Eric