[pct-l] Getting to Crabtree Meadows

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Wed May 2 11:29:55 CDT 2012

On May 2, 2012, at 12:06 AM, Kathi wrote:
> I am trying to see if I can do a section from Kennedy Meadows to
> Crabtree Meadows. I see in the trail guide that I can take the trail
> toward Mt. Whitney for several miles and then there is supposed to be a
> junction that I can descend to Whitney Portal. I am looking at topo maps
> and don't see any trails that descend from the trail that goes from the
> PCT to Whitney. I see a way I can make a trail but don't really want to
> do that. I also don't really want to go up and descend Mt. Whitney to
> get down to the road.

Once you are in Crabtree Meadows, you are in a basin with no way to get
to Whitney portal without going up and over a ridge line. Chuck already
described the trail route.  You get within 1000' feet (elevation wise)
of the Whitney summit but don't actually go over the summit.

There are no real non-elevation gaining alternatives to get out to the
Owens Valley to the east from Crabtree Meadows.

You can continue on to go over Forester and Kearsarge Pass to exit at
Onion Valley instead or you can backtrack to Cottonwood Pass and exit
at Horseshoe Meadows.  Both would be more work than simply going up and
over the ridge on the shoulder of Whitney.

Radar