[pct-l] What are the Best Shoes for the PCT?

gschenk1 at roadrunner.com gschenk1 at roadrunner.com
Thu Jun 14 07:46:10 CDT 2012

---- Deborah Leader <djtphn1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have started preparing for the 2013 thru-hike of the PCT. I have been on
> a few major, 8 hour, strenuous day hikes and I have to say, my feet are
> already throbbing. I think I may have even gotten a blister today hiking
> the East Questa Ridge in San Luis Obispo County that was very up and down
> some very steep inclines. I found that hiking up-trail I was fine, but
> hiking down-trail, my toes were pounding into the tips of my shoes. Any
> suggestions on which shoes are best?

Deborah, you're asking the wrong question. What are the best shoes for YOUR feet is what's important. Try lots of shoes at the store. Then try those shoes on the trail. It might get expensive, but you'll find YOUR shoe. Or, like my girlfriend, it might be a boot.

Yes, that goes against the common wisdom, but a boot works for her. It might be heavier, but lighter doesn't do much good if your feet are dead meat at the end of the day. She's tried a wide variety of trail runners, but a pair of Asolo boots is perfect for her.

Keep trying and you'll find the perfect fit. And when you do, buy 5 pair! 'Cause they'll stop making that shoe as soon as you find it.

Gary