[pct-l] Bear encounter before Kennedy Meadows

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Jun 12 19:28:03 CDT 2012

Regarding opsacks and food storage and varmints...

I mostly just kept my food in a plastic bag in my tent. In bear can
required areas I used a bear can. I can't throw a rock over a tree
branch to save my life.

On the entire PCT I never had a bear try to get my food out on the
trail.

I had a bear try to get my food while camped in the Shady Rest
campground in Mammoth. I have teeth marks to show off on my bear can.

I watched a bear help himself to unattended food at the Tuolumne
Meadows campground in the hiker section.

I heard a mouse rustle around my food bag in the rocks near Jawbone
canyon. I believe I had set up my campsite in the middle of his
nightly route and that he wasn't actually trying to get at my food.

I had a mouse or some other kind of rodent (it sure seemed bigger
than a mouse) try to get at my food near Methow Pass in Washington. I
had a hole in my tent by that time and he just walked right on in so
I shooed him right on out and plugged the hole.

I had squirrels get to my food and bite holes in it while it was
inside an open bear box with my feet propped on the shelf as I read a
book at the Warner campground next to Drakesbad.

I've never used an opsack. I've never left my food unattended for
long periods. The rodent problems are not insurmountable. The worst
animal problems are to be found in car camps. I wouldn't worry so
much about it if I were you.

Just do the best you can and you'll be okay. The bear cans really
work. Worst case scenario of a rodent stealing your food is you lose
some of your food get a little hungry and have to do a little begging
but if you are a thru-hiker you're already kinda doing that anyway.