[pct-l] Chinook Pass to Snoqualmie Pass: How ugly is it?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Jul 12 20:13:20 CDT 2012

I found this section to be sort of a low point but I think mostly
that's because it had been raining since I entered Washington and I
was just sick of being soaking wet. It was very overgrown. Sometimes
I couldn't see the trail. There were lots of huckleberries. There
were a fair amount of ugly areas with power lines and clear cuts. You
would walk through gorgeous forest for a while, then emerge into an
ugly clear-cut in various stages of growing back. The last part
toward Snoqualmie was full of roots and ruts and it hurt my aching
feet. But there were some pretty lakes and I could hear a huge herd
of elk when I was sleeping in my tent and then I saw huge trails they
had carved with their hooves in the morning. It's worth doing the
trip. It is pretty in between the ugly and the boring and the
overgrown. I'm sure if I went back now I would see more pretty than
ugly.