[pct-l] Oregon snow report

Andrea Dinsmore andrea at dinsmoreshikerhaven.com
Thu Jul 12 20:44:43 CDT 2012

Snagged off Shrek's Facebook page..........

This is from Wag Daddy. He just got here at the swamp today and heading
north tomorrow.
OREGON SNOW REPORT:

I just finished a section hike from Highway 140 (Mt. McLoughlin) to Highway
242 (just past the Three Sisters) from July 4-10. Here's what I encountered
snow-wise worth mentioning:

... Crater Lake - I hit snow shortly past Highway 62. There was heavy and
continuous snow on the steep climb up to the rim and also heavy snow almost
the entire way around the lake. Watch for blue ski blazes high in the trees
on your way up to the rim and expect about 10-12 miles of snow walking here.

Mt. Thielsen - Trails are steep in many places and the snow is quite heavy
still. Expect about 20-25 miles of snow around here. I hiked this section
with Mouse, who has GPS. It would have been very difficult to safely
navigate without it. We both would highly recommend the Diamond Lake
Alternate in this section, probably until August.

Diamond Peak - Expect about 5-10 miles of solid snow through here.

Three Sisters - Starting just a couple of miles past the Elk Lake Trail all
the way until just before South Matthieu Lake, expect nearly constant and
heavy snow on the trail. I would say the trail was covered 95% of the time
through this 25 mile section. Navigation is easier here than Thielsen as
the trail isn't as steep most of the way through the Sisters, but expect
daily mileage to decrease.

As for the other sections of Oregon, I can't say anything firsthand, but
Mt. Jefferson looked like it had a lot of snow in the distance, and Mt.
Hood will likely have quite a bit still, too. You will encounter snow in
other areas as of now as well, but they shouldn't require navigational aids
to traverse. Be smart and safe, bring maps and/or GPS, and plan mileage
accordingly. Also, keep your eyes peeled for signs of the trail (blazes,
hatchet marks on trees, ribbons, brief openings of the trail, chainsawed
trees on the ground, etc.). Hopefully it stays nice and warm and the snow
melts quickly for everyone hitting Oregon soon! I'm deactivating my
account, so if you comment, I won't see it for a while. God bless!

<><
Wag Daddy