[pct-l] knee injured, a little advice?

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 26 04:00:59 CST 2012

Rob wrote:

again,if someone is asking medical advice on an internet forum it probally
means you have no access to medical care.

Well, yes, that may be true, but since very few of us are medical
professionals, asking for medical advice about an apparently serious injury
on an internet forum is probably going to result in either "see a doctor" or
"stay off of it and take some Vicodan."  Anything else we could say is
likely to be misleading or flat out wrong.

It sounds like Clay is planning a thru-hike this year so he's probably got
some money saved up.  My best advice is to take some of that money and go
see a doctor.  He's not going to be hiking anywhere in the condition he's
in.

If I were to hazard a wild guess, I'd suggest that Clay do some web searches
on "torn meniscus".  It's conceivable that he tore one or more of the
menisci, and recovered from the initial trauma, but the torn flap or
detached piece has since gotten lodged somewhere where it's not supposed to
be.  Or it could be something completely different, with different treatment
requirements.  The problem with guessing is that we can easily guess wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meniscus_Tears

Eric