[pct-l] Few questions from a PCT-rookie

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Sun Jan 22 09:42:59 CST 2012

On 1/22/2012 3:58 AM, Robert Kristoferitsch wrote:
> 1. Arriving at Campo (using the bus from EL Cajon) around noon, I'm
> looking for a good camping spot between Campo and Lake Morena. Any
> suggestions?

Wherever you find yourself around 8:30 PM. All you are going to do is
sleep there, so you don't need much. Be aware that illegals also use the
trail, so you may want to get off the trail a ways if you want to avoid
them. A lot of thrus will camp at Hauser Creek. So do the illegals, so
you will have the Border Patrol in an out of your camp during the night
if you camp there.

If you are planning a thru hike, or long section hike, you should just
get used to camping wherever you are when you start losing daylight or
the energy to walk any farther, whichever comes first.

> 2. ...or are there some trail angles who are willing to give a ride
> early in the morning so I can make may way to Lake Morena on the
> first day?

There is a network of trail angels in SD who provide this service. If
one of them cannot accommodate you, they will often know who can. Search
the archives for Barney and Sandy Mann (Scout and Frodo), Girlscout or
Bob Reiss. There are others, but their names don't come to mind right now.