[pct-l] stoveless menu tips?

dicentra dicentragirl at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 22 09:20:37 CST 2012

Oh goodie! A food post. :)    (this might be long)

Note: I have never done a thru hike. I just know food.

There's LOTS you can do.  Tortitillas are your best friend. Wraps. lots and lots of wraps.  Smear them with shelf stable cream cheese, rehydrated dried beans, avocado (near towns) or hummus, nutella, various salad dressings, bbq sauce, peanut or other nut butters, jelly, honey (pb&j or honey with granola is one of my favorite backcountry breakfasts)... Top with shelf stable bacon, pouches of tuna, chicken and salmon (someone told me that even sardines come in pouches now! I haven't seen them yet)

I like something fresh in my wraps too. A bag of salad will last for 4 days or more in your pack in MILD temperatures. Carrots, cabbage, onions, cucumber and apples pack well.

Bagels, flatbreads, cheese, granola bars, jerky, baked tofu, puddings and mousses, cheesecakes, candies

I met someone on the PCT in 08 or 09 that was going stoveless AND vegan. Wow.  So of course I grilled him about his diet... He was eating all the "normal" things every other hiker eats, he was just eating it cold.  Great if you can stomach cold oatmeal. (fyi - this was the pct in WA so he'd made it that far)

All of the freezer bag cooing, just-add-water, type meals WILL work without a stove. They will just take longer to rehydrate. The texture might also be a little... shall we say... softer?

I don't want to be all "hey look at me..." but... I'm gonna. :)   See my sig line for a link to my site. Lots of free recipes and ideas on there.

I hope that is helpful.  I get the "stove free" question a lot.

~Dicentra

http://www.onepanwonders.com ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest
http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra