[pct-l] Here's some more stove free ideas

dicentra dicentragirl at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 22 12:21:49 CST 2012

This is from an article I wrote last year... Hope it helps.

~Dicentra

Save weight on your journey by going sans stove. Just bring a bowl and a spoon!  Check the recipe pages for more ideas.

Breakfast
The easiest no cook breakfast is cold cereal and (powdered) milk. Just add water and stir. Another easy idea is a breakfast sandwich of sorts. Bagels, English muffins and tortillas all pack well and make good bases for a sandwich. Top with honey, peanut butter, jelly, cream cheese and fill with shelf stable bacon, granola or dried fruit.  How about a cheese bagel, filled with bacon and cream cheese? Or tortillas topped with almond butter and dried cranberries? Look for the Justin’s brand for single serving packets of almond, and peanut butters. I’ve also talked to thru hikers that ate instant oatmeal, prepared in the normal way, but with cold water.

Lunch and Snacks
There are a lot of things you can bring to make your trailside lunch more interesting. Salads, including ramen, couscous and tuna/chicken salad can easily be done on the trail.  Fantastic World Foods makes a wonderful tabbouleh salad. They also have instant black beans, refried beans and hummus that are very trail friendly.

Wraps or pitas made with these or other dips (artichoke, white bean…), dried at home and reconstituted on the trail make lunch easy. Use a coffee grinder or blender to get the dried food into tiny, uniform pieces. This will help with the rehydrating process. In addition to making a sandwich, you can also use these as a vegetable or cracker dip. And of course tortillas, peanut and other nut butters, jelly and honey.

Snacks can include everything from gorp, granola, dried fruit, jerky, wasabi peas, pretzels, crackers, candied ginger and candies of all sorts. Bring a big variety of your favorites. There are even several different types of vegetarian jerky on the market now as well as a huge variety of different trail bars.

Dinner
This is where going without a stove gets tricky for me. I’m so used to ending my day with a hot delicious meal.  If you don’t mind eating your food cold, anything that is a just-add-water type recipe can be done on the trail. Instead of 5-10 minute rehydrating time, allow longer; up to 20 minutes. Instant rice is still almost instant in cold water. Lunches can also double as dinners. Protein options include baked tofu, pepperoni, chorizo, salami, summer sausage and a multitude of foil pouches of meats and seafood. One of my favorites is smoked oysters, served with smoked cheddar and crackers.

http://www.onepanwonders.com ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest
http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra