[pct-l] Using a GPS on a low snow year

John Abela abela at johnabela.com
Wed Jan 11 23:03:43 CST 2012

@Halfmile,

I am curious... how well does the Foretrex 401 handle your maps??

Being that it does not have true maps, does it handle the waypoints in
your data files ok?

Basically it would just end up giving you a straight line to the next
waypoint, right?

Cannot say I have ever seen or used a gps that did not have a map view.

But at 87 grams... wowzer. You could pull off the wrist strap and
throw it into a pocket and probably shave off at least another 20
grams. But even if you did not, a 3 ounce GPS that can tell you a
compass heading and give you a line of orientation to your next (or
previous, if you missed a trail turn) offers you something 45% lighter
than the next option out there. Battery life could be a bit better
though... but it is running on AAA batteries rather than AA batteries.

Anyway, have you ever loaded up your data files onto a 401 ??

John