[pct-l] Using a GPS on a low snow year

James Vesely JVesely at edmsupply.com
Thu Jan 12 08:17:31 CST 2012

I used a Forerunner 205 on the JMT and with only waypoints and tracks
loaded you don't get a map but it keeps you on the trail and provides
standard GPS info like speed, elevation, longitude and latitude.   The
battery easily lasted a complete day and the tiny battery can be charged
with a small solar panel.

The waypoints where no problem I loaded all the trail junctions, side
routes, resupplies and proposed campsites before leaving.  One other
cool feature but I didn't use it was you can have the watch warn you by
a beep when you are getting off the trail.   You can also add waypoints
as you hike for things like campsites, water sources, etc.

Jim