[pct-l] Tim's 180 mile hike

Mary Davison pastormaryd at msn.com
Mon Jan 9 14:18:45 CST 2012

Re: Tim's 180 mile hike

Get lighter - over the years of your section hikes if need be. I don't think
you mentioned your age. I found that although I could carry up to 50# when I
was in my 50s, I can't as a 70 yo female. I met a guy on the trail once who
said his goal was to get 1 lb lighter for each year older. I did speed that
up as I took on long sections instead of short ones. My base dry pack weight
this last year was 11 lbs. I have had a knee problem and eventual knee
replacement this last year but I can still do long sections since I keep the
weight down. I finished the AT in 2011 and have just 80 miles to go to
finish PCT (Plan to do in July). I'm planning on starting CDT sections this
spring. Light weight section hiking, even long sections, ( I have done
300-500 each year on each trail)  lengthens hiking life a lot if you want it
to.

You definitely need rain gear although you may get lucky and never need it
for this hike - or not. 2 Pairs of pants sounds like overkill. 1 zip off
pair and maybe 1 super light running shorts would give you something to
cover your modesty in Laundromats besides your rain gear. (Standard hiker
joke - you can always tell a thu hiker in the Laundromat as they are wearing
rain gear.) 2 shirts only if one is short sleeve and one is long sleeve.
Hikers just wear the same thing every day. Aim for bag, tent and pack to be
below 5 lbs. 10 years ago I thought a 3 lb tent was super light. Now I have
a Hexamid at 12 oz. - keeps me dry too.  As a section hiker you will figure
this out over time even if you don't get it down for this time. You will get
ideas from this list and from those whom you meet on trail or at Kickoff. I
totally recommend Kickoff.

In my quest to be light I also went stoveless this year and liked it a lot -
but researched the food before I went. Non-cheese based Mountain House
dinners do rehydrate with cold water but unfortunately for you, they have
meat. (Cheese-based ones don't rehydrate well cold - I forced one down but
it was terrible.) Experiment - figure out what works for you. Lots of good
high calorie and real food bars out there, nuts, Pbutter Protein drinks etc.
Cheese when you can get it - should not be a problem to get for 180 miles.

Section hiking is a great way to go (according to me.) Although you suggest
picking up each year in same place, which is possible and what I thought I
might do with AT, one of the advantages of section hiking is to see a
stretch of country at the time of year it is at its best, not just when thru
hikers go through. The flower display in Tyler Horse Canyon was one I will
never forget and most thru hikers miss. Then again, some who start out as
section hikers end up going the whole way instead. It is addicting.

However you go, have a great time and learn a lot for your next section
hike.

Medicare Pastor