[pct-l] Alternative Map Options

Jason M. jmmoores1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 22:17:40 CST 2012

Hey Rambler,
I'll take a shot at a few of your topics:

Over the years I've used: WP Guides, Atlas, Forest Service PCT maps and
Halfmile's; I've also used Harrison maps for the Sierra, San Jac.& Green
Trails maps for the N. Cascade (I've only glanced through Postholer's maps)

This past season I carried FS maps and will again this year, with the
exceptions that you've already mentioned; I'll carry Halfmile's maps for
the Sierra, as I find them to be the best overall for navigation +
information.

As you can imagine giving a stranger map advice can be a bit tricky. I've
never walked with ya. But, assuming you are "aware" of your
surroundings...I feel that 85-90% of the trail can be hiked with 1:64,000.
There are a few areas south of KM where the trail gets "confused" amongst
dirt bike trails and FS roads - North of Tyler Horse Canyon and the Kelso
Valley come to mind. I'm not saying that better maps are needed for these
areas, but they don't hurt.

You may find more detailed maps useful when you reach N. Cal. and begin to
encounter heavily logged sections of forest; crisscrossed with countless
tracks and roads. Or active cuts like the one north of Burney Falls. It can
save you a considerable amount of time.

Personally, I consider the N. Cascade to be a stretch of wilderness that is
foolish to be lost in without adequate maps (it once took five days for 2
of my pals to find civilization). I'll carry Halfmile's maps for the final
stretch.

All that being said...about two thirds of the hikers I encounter on the
trail, either: a) have no maps, b) have maps, but no clue how to read them.
Most folk seem to get by in "groups" where one or two hikers do all of the
route finding, while the sheep follow blindly. Most make out O.K.,
some...not so much. Last year, in the Sierra, I ran into two seperate
hikers on the same day (north of Whitney) who were without maps-hopelessly
lost- and blindly following footprints across endless snow fields. By the
end of the day I had gone from a solo hiker responsible for only my own
safety to a mountain guide...a service that I was happy to provide, but
shouldn't have had to. One fellow even regained his confidence and struck
out ahead...it took him three tries to find the right "notch" at Kearsarge
Pass. Noobs!

100,000 scale could suit you fine for the whole trail, but would you feel
comfortable using that scale if you became truly lost in the woods? Only
you can say.

Jackass