[pct-l] Alternative Map Options

eagletonjim at aol.com eagletonjim at aol.com
Tue Feb 28 12:43:53 CST 2012

While I would like to acknowledge the quality of the Postholer pct mapbook, I would like to evaluate another option.
My thinking is that the navigational challenges of the pct are between the AT and CDT. Furthermore, 1:63,360 maps have been the CDT norm for years (although I blow them up to 49,000 and carry a gps, but don't have cdt profiles).
Therefore, I wonder if primarily using the 1:100,000 maps is reasonable for the PCT?? (Only 71 maps)?http://www.mediafire.com/?2n95f8aszu3olpb

I can think of two circumstances that would justify more detailed supplemental maps. First, are the areas of tricky navigation, e.g.: snow covered trail on Fuller Ridge, and in the Sierras; and areas where it is important to find scarce water sources.
Would I need detailed maps from Campo to Kennedy, or can someone list a reasonable number of sections for detailed water source maps? Are there other areas I should consider detailed maps?
The second issue with the 100,000 scale maps is how often they are updated. I assume both the mapbook and halfmile maps are pretty up to date. The Halfmile maps have the Station Fire and Deep Creek Fire, and Endangered Specis detours. Are there other trail updates I should look for?

Once I have identified the supplemental maps, I can choose between mapbook and halfmile. It seems like a close and perhaps trivial call. How up to date is the mapbook data? I notice on cover of the Washington mapbook, that the old crossing of Milk Creek is shown. The new bridge was built shortly after I crossed in August 2009. Is there an update strategy for future trail changes?
The only thing I don't like about the mapbook is the binding. I think the smaller paper size and larger scale (but perhaps more readable) balances out with halfmile. There may be appropriate donation to both Postholer and Halfmile if both map sources are used. What is the appropriate donation?

toc? / nee Rambler

?