[pct-l] Park Rangers

be hope bh.csuchico at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 16:17:41 CST 2012

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM, mikey chapman <petergrubbfan at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> I was interested if anyone has heard of the
> bear fine being handed out,arrests,details

At the KO last year a ranger gave a presentation for the Bears, Food, and
Fire Safety session.  I believe she was from the USFS.  Time/other
questioners prevented me from asking a couple of questions during the Q&A
segment.  So after the session I posed these questions to her:

"Does your agency, or any other agency, collect and maintain a data base
for those who violate the bear canister regulation?"

Answer:  "no"

"Does your agency, or any other agency, have any records regarding PCTers
violating the bear canister regulation?"

Answer:  "no"

"Do you have any knowledge of a PCTer being given a violation for not
carrying a bear canister where required?"

Answer: "no"

"What is your personal guesstimate of PCTers not carring bear canisters
where required?"

Answer:  "10 - 15%"

I found the first two "no" answers surprising.  Surely some agency must
collect this data.