[pct-l] who has experience with quilts? (Pct-L Digest, Vol 50, Issue 16)

Heather Darnell mom_and_alex at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 14:49:18 CST 2012

Paul, I LOVE my quilt! I purchased (my idea of) a "starter" quilt, so it is somewhat heavy for a thru-hike. It is the ThermRest Ventra down quilt. I have used it several times, most recently this past weekend where local (Charleston, SC) temperatures got down to 28, and the wind was wild. I think with wind chill it was between 18-20 degrees F. I wrap the quilt around me more tightly in those colder conditions I thrash arounda  lot in my sleep, so to keep it wrapped around on really cold or windy nights, I slip the quilt inside my silk liner. (I know that's the reverse of how a liner is designed!)

For sleep wear I use a thin silk shirt on top, but multiple layers on my legs and feet (trying to learn how to prevent cold toes!) Anyway, I actually get sweaty on my upper torso if I'm not careful. I have used eith a tarp (last month, also in temps below 30 degrees and light wind) and this month a tent (because one of the kids tripped over my tarp and actually shredded it!! :(  )

Anyway, this particular quilt does have a "draft-stopper" around the edges. Oh, and I sleep on an a ThermRest Neo Air - meaning I am a bit higher off the ground as it inflates pretty thick. I don't know how the quilt performs when you are on a flatter pad. Also I keep the foot box snapped and it has stayed that way over 4 consecutive nights, so I'm definitely a fan! No zippers - Yay!

As for fit - I"m a woman, 5'6" and I got the "regular" (?) size. I have tucked my head under when I got tired of the breeze or bugs. Still plenty of length.

I hope that helps! (Yeah, I can't wait to order the zpacks, once I'm convinced the vapor barrier won't be a problem.)

Message: 9