[pct-l] HYOH- campfires

mikey chapman petergrubbfan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 12:02:19 CST 2012

Howdy Listers, Let me take this a step back,and then foward(or not). I
stopped at a popular campsite with a firepit last year,lots of
hikers,as we set camp someone joked about setting a campfire. It
concerned a gal enough to pack up her stuff and leave,I was sure it
was a joke. We were expecting huge socal winds that night,plus it was
in section A with a burn ban in effect(against the law). We were all
eating dinner and a gal starts the fire in the pit,a couple of us were
outraged,but were calmed by a person who explained that she needed the
fire for dinner(possibly legal?),and we should chill. I cant tell you
how nervous I was,alls I could think about was being in a group that
burns down the pct,and maybe hurting people or animals. As the fire
went out,hikers scattered like cockroaches for there shelters. Knowing
my sleeping area was downwind,and the realization that this area is
very,very,dry and full of dry weeds and various dry foliage,I had to
make sure that fire was out. I tainted my canteen with creek water and
soaked the fire with a few liters of water. I woke early,before dawn,I
left this area with a new fear. Every mile I walked,I couldnt help but
think it may be the last time I ever see it this way. Its tough to
know when to take a stand. Is it your job to babysit adults in the
woods,all while trying to complete a giant hike? HYOH is great,but
dont let it put you in danger. You have to ask yourself,who am I to
put others in harms way?   This is not a message to say how great I
was or wasnt,its a message to you out there who might be put in this
spot. What will you do? (no need to answer)