[pct-l] PCT-L and Sawyer Bags advice

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 28 17:58:20 CST 2012

The Sawyer bags fail, I replaced my bags about 5 times on my thru hike (2012) or about every 500 miles.  Sawyer bags cost about $10 for three.  But  I could have avoided this by using a 2L soda bottle or a smaller soda bottle instead of the Sawyer bag.  I saw this on the trail this year, people just used soda bottles or certain water bottles they purchased in town.  I can't remember the exact brand of the water bottle that works (not all threads are the same).  I would have used a 2L coke bottle but already purchased a lot of sawyer bags and they are slightly lighter.
If you are going to use a Sawyer I would recommend back filtering in every town to keep your filter flowing nicely.  You can back filter by holding your filter tightly up to a faucet and then force the water back through the filter.  Hold your other hand over the faucet and the filter to keep water from shooting out the side.  Slowly turn on the water... to avoid taking an unnecessary shower.

Always test out which bottle is compatible before heading to the trial....and back filter as much as you can stand it, you'll be happy later as you squeeze your bag or bottle.
For a long discussion of Sawyer go here...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?84289-Sawyer-Squeeze-Water-Filter-question/page2

Paul (Tangent)
Hikethru.com