[pct-l] PCT-L and Sawyer Bags advice

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Fri Dec 28 17:41:32 CST 2012

My gal and I used the Sawyer filters and bags for sections A, B & C this year and the only failure was when I pinch a bag in a buckle.

Soooooo......  until last week, I would have argued against this statement.

Then, I went for a trail jog near where I live (PCT portion from Soledad Canyon Road to Vasquez Rocks Park) and carried the half liter bag in a mesh pocket on the outside of the mini pack I was wearing.

The bag jumped out and hit the ground full of water.  It tore along the top near the spout and dumped its contents on the ground!

I'd say, fill it with water; drop it, push on it, etc -  and if it doesn't fail, it will probably be fine.

You should also be carrying more than one water bag.  I had the two liter Sawyer bag, a 2 liter Platy bag, two one liter Smart Water bottles and a 20 oz bottle for my shoulder strap and to mix drink packages.

SomeGuy
Bill Burge
bill at burge.com