[pct-l] Protein powders and eBlogging

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 01:08:33 CST 2012

Protein Powders?
Regarding protein powders, wouldn't real food taste better for starters?
 Soy nuts, especially Edamame are very high in protein but so are peanuts
and with raisins they taste amazing!  You will be consuming a lot of
calories, hiking mile after mile, probably well over 3,000 calories; 5,000
not uncommon.  3,000 calories of anything (except pure sugar candy without
nuts) will give you enough protein to sustain and repair your body.  *Also,
your body will need mostly carbohydrates*.  Your body can convert protein
to carbohydrates that your body can ultimately use for energy for hiking,
but why make your body go through all those extra steps and create all
those extra by-products that your body has to work to eliminate?  If you
eat 3,000 calories of oranges, not that I suggest doing this but the point
is, you will get about 60gms of protein just eating oranges so I wouldn't
worry about eating huge amounts of extra protein!  I wouldn't even bother
to eat animal products!  You will be a lot healthier giving your body what
it needs!  My Vegan trail diet gives me well over 75-80 gms of protein in
about 3,000 calories of food.

Toga