[pct-l] backpacks

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 27 14:00:13 CST 2012

I started a thru-hike in 2010 with the Aether 70.  It had more than enough room until the Sierra, when it was just large enough for the extra clothes, bear canister, and winter gear.  I didn't finish, unfortunately, and am doing long sections now.  I have switched to a ULA Circuit, which is a lot lighter, very comfortable,  and big enough for the gear I'm carrying.  However, if I was to do the Sierra again in a big snow year, I' probably carry the Aether for the extra capacity.

Having said all that, I (and others) will recommend that you get all your gear first, before you buy a pack.  Then, go to the outfitter and look for the smallest, lightest, most comfortable pack that wil handle your gear.  If possible, borrow a used one from a friend (or rent one from the outfitter) and go on a 2- or 3-day hike to evaluate it under trail  conditions.

Good luck - you're gonna love it.

Mango