[pct-l] backpacks

Sir Mixalot atetuna at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 02:12:35 CST 2012

I disagree with Mango a little.  I like a bigger pack.  It makes packing up
in the morning much easier.  I can sloppily toss in my gear.  I just want a
good compression system.

Packs are a lot more forgiving with a very light load, but the pack must be
big enough and should have a  design that meets your hiking style.  You
might only find out about the latter after a lot of time backpacking.  As
an example, I've found that I prefer to keep all my water and day-time
goods (1 day of food, water treatment, flashlight, maps) in the external
pockets.  This means it must have a front or top pocket that allows easy
and frequent access even with the compression system, and side pockets that
hold at least 3 liters total.