[pct-l] Intro

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 12 02:49:47 CST 2012

Dear Michael,

It would serve you very well to read "Trail Life" by Aeronautical Engineer turned Adventure Guru, Ray Jardine.  This is the third rendition of his distance hiking manifesto based on over 25,000 miles of long distance trails.  His information is invaluable.  The first two ("The PCT Handbook", and "Beyond Backpacking") are also worth reading, despite having some repeated information.

Also, check your library as mine had "Trail Life" for lending.  Otherwise it retails around $25 and it's most fun to buy direct from Ray's site.   Trust me that you will find nuggets of invaluable information that you would not want to be without.  Remember that one's brain is the best piece of gear and since you're carrying it anyway it might as well be filled with useful knowledge.

Ray does advocate making one's own gear and if this interests you at all, check out his gear kit store.  Frankly I love making, remodeling, and modifying gear which is ironic as my husband works at a gear store and I have access to great discounts.   Sewing gear enables my desire for custom fit and features and the pieces in my kit that I made give me a sense of pride.

Sincerely, Lollygag (Yet to accomplish more than a third of the trail at once, but it's sure fun to keep trying...)

PS Consider reading Ray's online essay on "Cannonballs" before you get any gear...

you wrote:

Hi,
I recently joined this list because I am interested in hiking either the PCT
or the AT in 2014. Hope I won't be booted off for my interested in the AT as
well. I am leaning more towards the PCT though. I am planning for 2014 so I
have time to try out different gear and find a partner to hike with. I am
married with 3 lovely daughters and a dog. I like cars, computers, outdoors,
woodworking, etc. My experience is limited to family weekend campouts when I
was a kid. take care, and I hope you all do not get annoyed by beginner questions. Thanks,
Michael