[pct-l] homemade tent

nosirreeb nosirreeb at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 13:37:56 CST 2012

I made a tent of my own design and not the particular tent you have chosen, but have a few pointers I would offer.

-With the cost of materials, you won't save a lot of money with MYOG. It's either done as a labor of love or to get specific features not available in commercial products.

-If you're using silnylon as most do, know that it is very slippery and can be difficult to sew accurately. Practice on scraps until you are comfortable with it.

-Measuring, marking, cutting, and sewing a tent requires a lot of working space. A hard surface, even a non-carpeted floor, is helpful.

-To mark silnylon, a dry erase board marker works well if you can stand the smell.

-Backpacking.net is a great site but the MYOG forums are not as active as they used to be. The MYOG forums at Backpackinglight.com are more active with a lot of useful info.

Good luck!