[pct-l] Time off to hike

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Fri Apr 27 09:56:45 CDT 2012

Just curious as to how people find the time to spend months or even
weeks hiking the trail. Do many of you have jobs that allow you to take
breaks or maybe you have seasonal jobs? I write this from my corporate
desk job.

If you're school-savvy, go to grad school that has a quarter system.
Make sure you study in area that has lots of jobs - like nursing or
teaching social work at a university.  The quarter system gives you four
months of summer break.  Nursing allows you to work for a couple years,
save money, take six or seven months off, and then get another job.
Academic social work does the same thing - it's not abnormal to change
schools once in a while, especially if you'd rather teach and hike than
do research...

Jeff, Martin SD