[pct-l] Ice Axe and Spikes from Dunsmuir to Ashland in June?

Brian Montgomery bmontgomery746 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 22:43:30 CDT 2012

I have day hiked sections of the PCT over the years and I am thinking about
doing a thru hike in the coming years.  As a "see how it goes" hike, I am
planning to do a section from Dunsmuir to Ashland from June 20 or so to
July 5 or so of this year.  I've found the snow reporting site:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/mapper?level=2&map=03&quad=15

Snow pack is around 75% of normal this year. I wouldn't worry about it
except that I will be going through earlier than most thru hikers.  So,
what do you think?  Should I worry about an Ice Axe and spikes or what?
 How much snow should I be thinking I'll be running into?  What questions
should I be asking that I'm not?

Thanks...

Starman