[pct-l] Boots vs shoes

Christy Georg christygeorg007 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 16:47:53 CDT 2011

Doug

I thru-hiked this year using somewhat rare "hiking shoes".  My
Patagonia Drifter a/c women's hiking shoes lasted about 1200 miles
per pair, which begins to make the pricetag reasonable.  My feet
prefer a non-flexible stiff sole to prevent chronic pain, I also use
new inserts (anything- Superfeet, Montrail, anything is better than
nothing)

I did switch to gore-tex "lightweight" Vasque Breeze boots for the
section from Trail Pass/Lone Pine to Red's Meadow.  If it wasn't the
snow-insantity of 2011, I would NOT do this.  I worried about having
constantly cold and wet feet from water crossings and snow getting in
my shoes.  I did love the combo of slick rain pants (for glissading)
with tall OR snow gaiters and the boots- I felt indestructible on the
highest passes.  However, my feet got a lot bigger during this
section and my feet felt oppressed by the boots.  I believe gore-tex
boots are good for warmth.  Keep in mind that snow is not very wet,
rain is wet.  I think they'd be useless in Northern Cascades wetness-
it's unavoidable.  Goretex footwear takes for-freaking-ever to dry
and weighs a ton wet.  Bummer.

I can tell you boots that you must take off for wet creek crossings
were a BAD idea past Red's Meadow this year.  There were over a dozen
every day, and just walking right thru in my shoes was great.  For
the section I wore the boots there wasn't that many per day, but the
annoying time loss to change into other shoes (I wore a foam/
polyester mary-jane style from Wal-mart) will bum you out, and your
hiking buddies.

Why do hikers wear boots?  You say "stability" and "protection",
right?  IMO boots limit mobility of your ankles, causing your knees
to compensate in strange ways.  Especially in men.  I saw lots of
male hikers (esp of the Old Skool persuasion) in boots and knee
braces.  You can get a shoe with a good vibram sole for stability.
Protection is an issue.  Thru-hikers beat their footwear, and kicking
rocks hurts.  Another reason to consider a hiking shoe over a trail
runner.

Choose your footwear based on how many miles you're doing on a trip.
Wear very thin socks, maybe 2 pairs.  Read reviews of the shoes, and
see what other who hike like you hike wear.  Take Dirty Girl gaiters
in the dry places.

cheers,
Wandering Dot