[pct-l] Starting Mileage

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sat Nov 12 15:03:39 CST 2011

On 11/12/2011 1:50 PM, Scott wrote:
> Why sit on the couch all winter preparing for 10 mile days?

Good question.  In the spirit of HYOH, there are lots of reasons to not
make time to train.  I also don't think it's an optimal solution to
start with 10 mile days, but it's a solution.

It would be nice if all of us were in balance and harmony in our lives;
that they were well planned and the planning was connected to what we did.

The Lakota have a word - Wo'Lakota - that means being in balance and
harmony within the sacred web of relationships that make up the world.
This is the natural state and way of things.  The highest state of
individuality is to be "icheya wicasa" or an ordinary human - one who
lives by the highest of virtues and ethics.  To be ordinary is to be
humble and respectful and compassionate and a warrior (to be part of
maintaining balance and harmony).

The American reality doesn't encourage being in balance and harmony.
We're taught to lust after a better pack, a sleeker set of underwear, a
newer car, or a more fit body when we start the hike...  The natural
order of things is "me first" and "my worldview/way of constructing a
hike is right."

I like the Lakota view...

Jeff