[pct-l] Dirty Looks

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Mon Nov 7 03:53:08 CST 2011

Yes Charles,
The local bar drunks don't like  ''hiker trash"  like us come
"snuffling"  around their women in the resupply towns and are prone to
give us ''dirty looks''.

But, talking about getting  ''dirty looks''......a few years ago, on one
of my JMT speed hikes,....night was approaching and it was raining as I
was nearing Muir pass and I was thinking I might stop early, sleep in
the Muir hut and get an early start next day.
As I burst into the hut, wearing my weird looking home made rain poncho,
made from a silvery looking space blanket....all eyes were upon me
like....WHAT IS THAT?

The hut was crowded with cute hiker babes and homely looking hiker dudes.
After the typical how are you, where are you going, etc., etc., I
said....the way I see it there is room for me and the girls in the
hut.....THE REST OF YOU GUYS HAVE TO SLEEP OUTSIDE.
The girls were all giggling.....but the guys were just starring at me.

Boy,  if looks could kill I would not be alive today.
After reassessing the situation I decided it might be best if I just
moved on, so as not to suffer bodily harm.
So I hiked on until midnight, thinking about those cute hiker babes I
left behind.

I never could understand why those guys were so mad at me and gave me
those awful ''dirty looks''.
I always seem to have that problem.....I always get a long really well
with the girls, but the guys don't seem to like me.....they always seem
to give me that....''dirty look''.
I never could figure that out.

JMT Reinhold
Your frequently misunderstood trail companion
Charles wrote:
Once we're in grizz territory we have a 1 in 50,000 chance of even
getting (at most) a dirty look from grizz.
This is, of course, in stark contrast to the chance a grizzled hiker
such as yourself might have, say, along the PCT at a bar in a re-supply
town snuffling around for the evenings prey.
Lots of dirty looks that night, one might might imagine.
And the danger of a fatality might be higher than you think.
Caveat grizzler.
Reinhold wrote:
Say Charles,
I LIKE MY WOMEN THAT WAY.
I don't know about the grizz.....those flesh eating, hiker stalking
beasts have big teeth and long claws and have been known to eat a hiker
or two.

JMT Reinhold Your trail companion who likes his women with teeth
Charles wrote:
A dream to have grizz on the PCT -- or back here in Colorado again.
*sigh* :-)
Of course, some folks would howl about it -- but I never felt entitled
to the wilderness or the wilds as a kind of picturesque safe & sound
playground.

I like my wilds with teeth in it. And I get along fine that way.
Cheers, ~C