[pct-l] Late start advice

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat May 7 19:41:14 CDT 2011

Sara,
If you want to hike thru from border to border, with no interruptions, go
for it.  But one other option when starting late, is to jump in with the
pack, finish at Manning Park with everyone else, and then come back in the
autumn to finish the deserts.  I had to leave trail for 3 weeks last year
for a wedding and other family business I couldn't get around, but I jumped
back in with my friends and the pack, and had a wonderful hike to Manning
with all the support the pack can give, and all the fun.  Then I came back
down for some very solo hiking in the deserts to finish.  The deserts in
Oct. were incredibly beautiful.  And surprisingly, water was not as big a
problem as I expected.  I had to be more cognizant of it, but many springs
were still running, and the longest stretch of waterless terrain was 20
miles.   Just another option.  I wouldn't let May 14th be a hike stopper.
It's just too wonderful to miss.

Shroomer