[pct-l] Two Hikers Rescued on San Jacinto

bighummel at aol.com bighummel at aol.com
Mon May 2 13:54:12 CDT 2011

Scott,

It seems that you are implying that just because someone suggests a particular starting date, that the aspiring hikers have no intelligence to judge their own skills and strategy whether to follow the suggested date or modify to their particular skill set. I think you under-estimate the intelligence of the aspiring thru-hikers and are omitting the plentiful caveats that Ned has made to his advice. We are all ultimately responsible for our actions!

Scott wrote:

He also has been a vocal promoter of March start dates and early entry
into the Sierra. We are all ultimately responsible for our actions.
*My opinion* is that he sometimes overlooks we don't all have his
experience when he makes such public recommendations. There is a
certain responsibility when someone of his vast experience makes such
statements to a larger audience.

Greg Hummel

I will follow you if you follow me
All the days and nights that we know will be
I will stay with you if you stay with me
Just one single tear in each passing year
                            - Genesis