[pct-l] Rope for spring stream crossings

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Thu Mar 31 15:18:56 CDT 2011

I disagree with my role model Shroomer on one small but important point.  If you are WALKING across a log or fording the creek, then yes, unbuckle.

However, I CRAWLED across a couple of big logs on my hands and knees last year, which was slower but safer to me - more balance.  In that case, I believe it is MORE dangerous to unbuckle, because your pack can twist or slip and cause you to lose your balance.  When crawling across a log, keeping my pack buckled made it more stable and predictable.

The only two times I really fell off a log was (1) when Shroomer was yelling at me to be careful, breaking my concentration, and (2) when a branch I was holding onto broke and my trekking poles got wedged under a big log, preventing me from using my hands to pull myself out, with about 6" of fast water pouring over my head.  Fortunately, Shroomer got me loose before he remembered to get his camera out.

Mango