[pct-l] Water Treatment

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Tue Mar 22 21:31:01 CDT 2011

Joyce,

No, I am not saying to treat twice.  My mistake for not making that clear.  AM solutions, AM tabs, and Micropur tabs all use chlorine dioxide as the basic ingredient for purification but different treatment methods, times, ionization catalysts, etc.  If I were a chemist, I could explain it better, but I'm not.

I used AM solution some of the time last year, and Micropur tabs sometimes.  Wait times and willingness to take the extra times to mix solutions and wait (AM) were the primary reasons to choose one methoid over the other.  I used both (not at the same time) and never got sick.

You didn't ask, but ... concerning giardia, a non-clinical-trial survey several years concluded that poor personal hygiene and sharing food or utensils with other hikers may be responsible for about half of all confirmed giardisis cases.  Using alcohol gel or wipes after each poop is strongly recommended.

Mango