[pct-l] PCT 2011! Bears in the Cascades

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 01:46:10 CST 2011

When I was a kid in the '50's and '60's, we'd go to Yosemite and feed the
bears right on the road.  Cars would line up for miles sometimes, it was
known as a "bear jam", and everybody would give them food through the car
windows.  Some folks got out of their cars and fed them one on one.  We've
got old home movies of these scenes.  We are still reaping the benefits of
this in having a lot of Sierra bears who still associate people with food.
 In those days nobody knew the damage we were doing, not even the rangers.
 It was part of the experience in Yosemite, Sequoia and Yellowstone, as I
remember.  The academy I was joking about above was actually started by us.
 A real bummer.

Shroomer