[pct-l] Pack weight?

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 23:23:51 CST 2011

Yikes! Has that become the expectation now?

6 lbs is super ultra lightweight. Sub 15 is, IMHO, ultra lightweight. I've
been slowly reducing my BPW for years. I don't have a few items of gear yet,
so I can't measure yet, but I estimate my BPW will be 18-20 pounds. To me,
this is pretty light compared to the heavy packs I hauled around 20 years
ago.

Only you know what you're comfortable with. Have you hiked long distances
with your gear yet? You said you had to buy it all new. Is that because you
have not backpacked much?

It's good advice to always try to minimize your pack weight. Especially on a
PCT thru hike. I'm not saying you should shouldn't head the other advice
given here. The others are right, your big 3 are pretty heavy. If the pack
carries a load well for YOU, then focus on the other 2. You don't need a 0F
bag. You can get a much lighter shelter.

Just don't get too worried that your goal "should be" 6, 10, or 15 pounds.
Hike with what you have and lets you be comfortable in the backcountry. I
wanted to point out that not all of us will be sporting packs in the weight
range you listed. ;)