[pct-l] Pack weight?

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 06:04:59 CST 2011

the standard definition is ultralight starts at ten pounds and under ... under
20 is considered 'lightweight'  SUL / XUL are less rigidly defined.

but the point kevin makes is a good one,  be comfortable with your pack,  not
everyone has to go ultralight...you don't even have to go light (but your joints
will thank you).  know your own comfort zone, and if you want to attempt
ultralight hiking, or anything close to it,  put a LOT of miles on with your
gear.  in crappy weather too.

ultimately what's the difference between 25 lbs and 10 lbs ?  huge !  ... but if
you say "i must be ten pounds" and then freak when you end up at 12 lbs,  you'd
be missing the point... it is just a number on a screen...  do what you can, and
get the pack  weight comfortable for you and you'll be fine.

Just make sure you stay flexible on the trail, and budget for some gear
adjustments for some things that don't work out.
get you're big 4 under control, and you can be really flexible from there about
the extras you want to carry...

my humble opine,
~Paul